Dubai in overhaul of mental health strategy
Dubai: A new mental health strategy is set to bring Dubai more in line with international standards, a leading psychiatrist from the Dubai Health Authority (DHA) said on Monday.
Dr Nadia Dabbagh was speaking on the opening day of the Dubai Health Forum at Dubai World Trade Centre.
At present Dubai and the UAE are lagging behind the international average, in terms of the number of psychiatrists and psychiatric beds per population of 100,000 people, according to World Health Organisation (WHO) statistics.
Nine initiatives of the Mental Health Strategy
- Mental health legislation
- Governance and regulation
- Promotion and awareness
- Early intervention
- Innovative models of service delivery
- Workforce development, recruitment and retention
- Facilities and infrastructure
- Patient empowerment programmes